I have recently started using GMAIL as my pop-mail spam filter and its working great so far.
I used to check my pop-mails through web based system. I decided to centralise all of this and just use GMAIL. I feel GMAIL has a better SPAM filtering logic, and secondly I wanted to centralise all my emails.
The way I went about is, for my pop-mail, I went to the "C-Panel" and added a filter to sent all mails to '[email protected]' (an existing email adderss) to '[email protected]' (a non existing email address)
Now, in my GMAIL account, I created a "LABEL" to identify these emails and added a "FILTER" such that all email where "TO: contains [email protected]" should be 'applied the newly created label' and should 'skip inbox'.
This works like a charm for me.
- I check all my emails at one place.
- Storage capacity is not a problem as emails stay only in GMAIL box. Even if you own a 5MB webspace, no need to worry
- Even if your domain expires (for those lazy people like me), you still retain all your old emails.
- Take advantage of Googles Spam Filter.
- Probably many more advantages I havent figured out yet...